Tasting Notes: Sparkling Wine from Veneto, Italy by Andreola.
Varietal; 100% Glera. ABV: 11.5 Drinking window: Now through 2024.
Asolo Prosecco Superiore DOCG "Akelum" is a Veneto wine produced by the Andreola winery, which is part of the line of sparkling wines dedicated to the DOCG of Asolo Prosecco Superiore, the area surrounding the ancient village of Asolo, a few dozen kilometres east of Valdobbiadene.
Asolo Prosecco DOCG was created in 2009, and also officially known as Colli Asolani until 2014. It is one of a growing raft of DOCG titles to grace the wine portfolio of the Veneto wine region in northeastern Italy.
All Spumante (fully sparkling) wines automatically gain the Superiore designation, as long as they reach 11 percent alcohol by volume. They can be made in a range sweetness levels.
According to Italian production regulations for Prosecco, Prosecco Spumante and Prosecco Frizzante, these wines must consist of a minimum of 85 percent Glera. The remaining 15 percent can be made up of any combination of Verdiso, Bianchetta Trevigiana, Perera, Chardonnay, Pinot Bianco, Pinot Grigio and/or Pinot Noir (vinified as a white wine).
The sip is fresh and fruity and elegant, perfect with aperitifs and appetizers of land and sea. The nose is characterised by aromas of fresh green apple, pear, peach and citrus notes. Crisp acidity, well paced fruit expression and concentration. Very pleasant and easy to drink.
See more of DeWayne's Picks